server push to desktop client

Phil Davis phil at pdslabs.net
Tue Nov 5 02:26:31 EST 2019

I need to make a desktop app (Mac only for now) that receives pushed
data from a LC server. I've never done this - all the desktop <-> server
interactions I've programmed have used the traditional client-server
model. So I'm looking for approaches/tips/ideas from anyone who has
experience with other approaches.

I'm not sure what protocol to use.

And maybe I'm making it too hard. Can FTP watch a server folder, and
detect and respond to the creation of a file in the folder? Maybe I
could use a method like that, if that's a capability of FTP.

Thanks for any input you may offer.

--
Phil Davis
503-307-4363