Learning from scratch - any recommendations? [with OT additions]

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 13:56:49 EST 2019

I think that that has little to do with how people acquire other
languages, but quite a lot
to do with concepts of inclusiveness and tribalism.

I doubt whether those Slovakians are consciously setting out to be rude,
but:

1. They probably feel that it is easier to convey certain concepts to
their compatriots in their mother tongue.

2. I felt, on my visit to the USA last Summer, that  people seemed less
friendly than when I was there for 3 years in the early 90s. Put this
down to a cultural shift if you will, put it down to the effect of
everyone's favourite
half-Hebridean if you will, put it down to some sort of rise in racism;
I honestly don't know.

Of course if one wants to be tribal and rude (which are often confused)
a person like myself
educated in England could get "all b*tchy" about your "perfectly good
english." :)

Which does rather prove the point, that all of what you have mentioned
about Slovakian volleyball players comes down to perceptions and
manners: not how languages are learnt.