Seeking confirmation of a bug...

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Sat May 18 19:42:26 EDT 2019

Brian:

 > Looking at the beginning of the thread, I think what Richard
 > meant initially is that if everyone always moved to the latest
 > version (bonus for testing with RC and DP versions) then
 > regressions would probably be spotted fairly quickly

Yes, using the latest LC version is, shall we say, half the battle! :)

But another big part of the solution is keeping an older LC version in
the loop and on the radar for comparison.

Is it ideal to promote only part of the real solution when we can just
as easily promote a more complete approach? Regressions involve change.
Noticing change often requires comparison. Not always - sometimes a bug
is really obvious, or it noticeably affects the user's current work.

But often that's not the case. Will regressions indeed be spotted fairly
quickly? It often hasn't been the case. What started this discussion was
an observation that one had taken a long time to be noticed.

That's not so surprising when we think through it - current work varies,
projects change and some get put on the back burner for a while, so
people aren't running every line of their code again immediately on each
DP version. Assuming all regressions will be caught in a timely fashion,
fairly casually just by sticking to the current DP and that alone, is
trusting a little too much in luck.

The whole includes the half - promoting a more complete solution is not
opposing a partial one, indeed it also promotes that piece. But the more
complete solution it is likely to succeed more often, assuming that's
the goal. For me that's an easy choice. Therefore:

Yes by all means, install the latest build AND an older version! :)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"