Resize Stack Sent Everytime a Stack Opens?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 13 15:20:42 EDT 2019

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > 1) You cannot get the coordinates of anything on start up or opencard.

"anything" is vast.

On mobile, resizeStack should be sent to your stack before it is first
rendered.  Its arguments are the width and height of the stack.

Given a card's origin always being 0,0, this should always work:

on resizeStack x,y
    answer "The rectangle in which you can place controls is: " \
     0,0,x,y
end resizeStack

If it doesn't that would need an engine fix.

 > 2) The resizestack in not firing automatically in many cases. There is
 > difference between Android and iOS. If it does, we get nothing in.
 > x,y.

If resizeStack is not being sent before the card is rendered, and/or the
expected values are not being sent, that sounds like a bug.

 > 3) using the send 'command' [params] in 0 millisecond is now causing
 > problems.

Such as...?

(Though you should not need to use timers for something as fundamental
as layout.  They are useful elsewhere, though, and if broken would need
to be fixed. If the issue you've had with them is limited to layout, I
suspect the cause is the message triggering the timer rather than the
timer itself.)

 > 4) if you get the card width and height after orientationChanged. Just
 > put then in you handler

An orientationChanged message should be accompanied by a resizeStack
message.  This lets you handle common layout tasks from a common
resizeStack handler, while using orientationChanged for the subset of
things one might want to do specifically in response to the orientation
being changed.

Allowing resizeStack to be the common trigger for layout adjustment
keeps things simple, learnable, and predictable.

If that were not the case, then doing ordinary layout tasks would become
more complicated than necessary, reducing the value of using LC.

 > 5) But, major caveat, returning for "face up" or to "unknown" has the
 > consequence of swapping the x,y values.

If that's by design it would seem a poor choice, given how consistently
the language provides x before y.

If that's not a design decision it would be a bug.

 > 6) But... an android  a case where
 >
 > card rect
 > 0,0,360,649
 >
 > Screen rect
 > 0,0,360,672
 > # 24 point too long!
 >
 > And, I turn the phone form  landscape to portrait, my footer is 24
 > pixels below screen.

Using card width and card height is always better for adjusting interior
controls than using screenRect, on all platforms, mobile and desktop.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems