TSNet hanging

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 10 16:04:28 EDT 2019

I have one particular file downloading from a server that hangs TSNet
and freezes the IDE. It hangs on mobile too. In both, it requires a
force-quit to get out. A similar file from another set loads without issues.

The files are saved in UTF8 with Mac carriage returns. They are not
compressed. I textDecode them and replace the returns with LF. The file
that fails has some weird characters that don't translate correctly
using textDecode(<chars>,"UTF8"). Firefox has no problem getting the
file and displaying it as text, but does show the strange characters.
The same file opened in BBEdit doesn't have a problem, the characters
are translated as curly quotes.

I don't know if these will come through on the list, but here are examples:

   “interlude.”  -- beginning and ending curly quotes
   name’ -- single curly quote

Would these hang a download? It's the only difference I can find between
the one that works (no quotes at all) and this one.

BTW, after textDecoding, LC throws an errors for codepointToNum on the
second example ("error in expression"), and says the curly quotes in the
first example are either 0 or 1770 (an Arabic glyph.)

I'll ask the client to upload a zip file and see if that will download,
but I don't think LC will translate the characters correctly anyway. If
it helps, the original files were exported from FileMaker.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com