BACKUPS !!!

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Mar 19 13:56:43 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-19 17:59, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
> Just a reminder... On Win 10 my 2 TB Raid 1 array using 1.3 TBs
> containing
> all my data, 3 dev VMs and all my source code was corrupted. It took a
> very
> annoying day to replace HW(controller) and recover data/VMs from my
> backups.
> All is back with NO data loss.

Glad you got everything back - although I can't imagine it was a
particularly
pleasant day :|

On a semi-related note, a word of warning to all those who have a
mid-2018 onward
MacBook or MacBook Pro's...

I was told by one of the Apple Genii when I got mine (partly because I
had just had
to get my previous laptop repaired - its logic board had failed!) that
with the mid-
2018 models onwards it is *impossible* to get the data off of the SSD by
direct
connection to the logic board. (In all prior models it is possible to
still do so
as long as that component itself hadn't failed).

i.e. If such a laptop has to go in for repair, and the logic board needs
replaced
then there is no way to get the data off of the SSD on it (presumably it
is some
how encrypted against something held elsewhere on the logic board).

So, if you have such a model, then its really important you heed the
little warning
that comes up in macOS these days if you haven't backed up in a while!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps