BACKUPS !!!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 19 13:47:08 EDT 2019

Sorry you had to experience that.  A sobering reminder for all of us.

I had a similar issue many years ago, and since then storage prices have
dropped, along with the price of cloud services, so now I'm almost
obsessive about having not only multiple redundant backups, but of
different kinds.

I have 6 portable USB drives in rotation for daily backups, in addition
to having key work files sync'd across three machines, one of which also
maintains a Time Machine backup, and my main rig syncs throughout the
day to an off-site cloud backup using Nextcloud.

The local backups are run with bash using rsync at the end of each day,
and the others (Time Machine and Nextcloud) are automatically updated
throughout the day by design.

Sure, redundant as hell.  But it took very little time to set up, at a
low cost, and it lets me sleep at night.

All backup systems will fail sooner or later.  All cloud services will
fail.  Most geographic regions are prone to at least one type of natural
disaster or another.  And all the while we face security risks which
require us to be able to re-deploy from backups quickly.

By using multiple backups of different types, I've been able to mitigate
just about any anticipatable risk.

Like you, I don't want to live through a large data loss ever again.
And like most folks, I didn't get really serious about redundant backups
until I'd experienced loss.  Let's hope others can learn without the pain.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems