LiveCode Localization?

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sun Mar 17 20:31:27 EDT 2019

Hi Kee,

I support a training development & delivery system that currently
supports training in English, Spanish and Arabic. The training dev
environment is English only, but the training content you can create
with it can be in those other languages. When we added support for
Arabic a couple of years ago, we switched from trying to maintain
everything in custom properties and using a separate template stack for
each language, to storing all language-specific settings (RTL vs LTR,
etc) and default content in YAML files. Now we can easily add new
languages with no changes needed to code (at least in theory - it seems
to work out perfectly).

To add a new language, we clone an existing YAML file and translate it,
and adjust the RTL/LTR training UI orientation settings as needed. Add
the YAML file into the next build of the content editor and Bob's your
uncle.

Best -
Phil Davis

On 3/16/19 1:17 PM, kee nethery via use-livecode wrote:
> Does anyone on this list have an app that you localize into other languages (French, German, Japanese, etc)?
>
> If so, I’d like to ask you how you support localization. Want to see if there is a common method since LiveCode does not support the techniques used by macOS, iOS, Android, Windows.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kee Nethery

Phil Davis