Windows: Open image with LC EXE

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Mar 7 08:30:57 EST 2019

Hi Bob,

In our case, we have a Windows app that has multiple document types. We
wanted it to behave like a "real" Windows app and (1) register it's
multiple documents and icons since the Standalone builder limits you to
a single document type (extension) and icon; and (2) check to see if the
document types have a different application as their default app and if,
so, ask the user if they want our app to be associated with those file
types.

To use the setRegistry function in LiveCode, the process (application /
EXE) must run with privileges. So we made a single stack application
called Helper that is written in LiveCode that sits in a small timed
loop looking for input using "  read from stdin until cr"

When our main app needs to change Registry settings (on startup), it use
the LiveCode 'open elevated process "Helper.exe" ' command to start up
the Helper.exe standalone as an elevated (or privileged) sub-process and
then uses read from <process> and write to <process> to send messages
with the registry settings as parameters and the Helper.exe updates the
registry.

So, for Adobe, you would need to know whether Adobe Reader supports
Interprocess Communication (IPC) and if it does, what are the messages
and responses (the APIs of its IPC) that it supports. Then use open
process and read from process and write to process to communicate with it.