Motion Graphics / Single Tread / Blocking

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed Mar 6 18:07:02 EST 2019

This is a discussion on issues of what motion graphics are we capable of doing with the LC engine, as it is today. This is a current trend in a "revolution" going on in the UX/UI world of designers. It goes to expected behavior by users and those who design "for 2020" apps.

Everything: "flows smooth, easing, just before stop. "

I have a few presumptions, which may or may not be in correct.

1. Livecode is single-rethreaded
2. If we use the "Move" command on an image, it moved over, one pixel a time = "clunky"
3. If we use the Move command to do a slow KenBurns effect  -- take a typical landscape background, say a mountain, move forward slow, to the left, all the while increasing rect/ratio  of the image -- would be a typical KenBurns, very subtle…but give "life" to the screen. It will moved one pixel at a time = "clunky"
4. If you use try to hit a button on mobile while the move is in progress, it is blocked, but queued up until the move is finished, then, unexpectingly, it triggers the mouseup. (single thread behavior)
5. Scrolling of a text field or group...

Some observations:

1) I have put some animated GIFs on a card. I can click a mouse while they are moving,
The GIF stops momentarily.
2) an animated GIF that I use as an indicator of download, also stops...
3) I was encouraged by HH --  Widget TurnImage89_v135 -- Where "apparently" action is very smooth- maybe is it still a pixel at a time, I can't tell
4) I used a button on desktop,  set the widget to turn and immediately access button. There does not appear to blocking.
on mouseup
      put "one"
      wait 500 milliseconds with messages
      put "2"
      wait 500 milliseconds with messages
      put "3"
      wait 500 milliseconds with messages
      put "4"
      wait 500 milliseconds with messages
      put "5"
      wait 500 milliseconds with messages
      put "6"
      wait 500 milliseconds with messages
   end mouseup

1) Are the "presumptions" correct?
2) Is it true that blocking a touch event is "quaranteed" on mobile, but the Mouseup up occurs "later" (is it queued)

I can experiment, to be sure, but want to open this discussion for better clarification. What can we do with Motion Graphics  (or not)  as of today, in LiveCode. (I have used animatedEngine)

BR