TabStops and Tab Spacings

hakan at exformedia.se hakan at exformedia.se
Wed Mar 6 15:16:50 EST 2019

There is a tab-size attribute that you can use but it can’t contain more than one number and it only handles ”number of spaces” for a tab like
tab-size: 6
Will give you 6-spaced tab.
To get the layout in HTML I instead suggest another approach. Replace each tab with an HTML-element to convert the text into something more HTML-like. I.e.
1<tab>2<tab>3 can be converted to something like
Then you can style your HTML in the way you want…
Or if you really want table data in HTML you can use a (drumroll please ;) <table>!
Converting a text field with tabs to an HTML table is a fairly straightforward process:

function tabTextToHTMLTable pText
   set the itemDelimiter to tab
   put "<table>” into tHTML
   repeat for each line tLine  in pText
      put "<tr>” after tHTML
          repeat for each item tItem in tLine
              put ”<td>” & tItem & ”</td>” after tHTML
          end repeat
      put ”</tr>” after tHTML
   end repeat
   put "</table>” after tHTML
  return tHTML
end tabTextToHTMLTable

There is an OLD proposal (like from 1998 or 97 if I remember correct) about tab-stops in HTML but to my knowledge it has never been implemented.

:-Håkan