Downloading apk

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jul 20 22:17:53 EDT 2019

On July 20, 2019 2:36:07 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> I'll just direct the user to the web site where
>> they can click a link and it installs.
>
> Wouldn't that require instructing end-users to first turn off critical
> security features in Android?

Kind of, sometimes. There is already a message on the web site that users
need to enable "Unknown Sources" in order to download. But it does vary by
OS. On Android 9 the OS puts up a dialog asking if you want to download and
stores your preference per app for future updates. On earlier versions of
the OS they need to go into system settings.

In any case, users will not be the general public and will be expecting a
private download for a specific purpose. After the app is downloaded, they
can turn off Unknown Sources if they like. Also, Android's built-in malware
scanning works regardless of the system setting, so not all security
features are turned off.

Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com