PDF Widget

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 19:19:12 EDT 2019

On Jun 24, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> In order to resolve the report we need to add a way for a widget to draw something different into a printing context than it does normally.

I’ve just uploaded some files with the core of a solution.

Having never gone inside a pdf before today, i converted some a pair of simple postscript files and converted to pdf,  a 3/4 circle to play the role of the raw source pdf, and a box to play the role of whatever other control.

I then edit the circle’s file as overlay.1.pdf ( the entire resultant file is in plaintext), defined a clipping path that doesn’t include all of it (representing the region of pdf actually displayed by the widget), and then added in the stream of the box.

The trick here is to, rather than drawing the widget, just pass the raw source of the donor pdf into the new one; no need to render at *any* resolution.

Printing to pdf already deviates from the printer by passing the text to print rather than a rendering of it; this is just the way to pass the pdf. (OK, I haven’t tried regular printing since 5.0; maybe something changed).

—
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
The Hawkins Law Firm
3430 E. Flamingo Rd.