sysError values...

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Jan 30 08:11:04 EST 2019

On 1/29/2019 7:03 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> In general, where does one find the English equivalent of the number
> returned by sysError for a given OS?
>
> In this specific case, the OS is OSX and the value is 13.

Richard: I completely agree. Apple is seemingly the worst in this
regard. Especially considering the LC Dictionary entry for sysError
where it states:

On Unix systems, thesysErrorfunctionreturnsthevalueof the "errno"variable.

On Windows systems, thesysErrorfunctionreturnsthevaluereturned by the
"GetLastError()"function.

But absolutely no mention of where the OSX sysError value comes from.
For Linux and Windows you can do a targeted search and find information.
It was easy to find
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/debug/system-error-codes
(even if there is 15999 codes!)

If someone form LiveCode can tell me where the OSX sysError value
actually comes from, I will try to (a) find an authoritative list and
(b) finally learn enough of GIT to update the dictionary entry for sysError

Rick: Thank you for the confirmation that it is a permissions issue.