The Notch

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Tue Jan 29 17:40:15 EST 2019

I have not yet addressed the Android notch. My LG v20 has an offset to the
right notch but it's reserved for the OS. For the iPhone I have a function
GetCardRect(). It returns a standard issue 4 item rect. I don't use things
like the "the top of this card...". As well as taking in account for the
keyboard it accounts for the iPhone notches. I select "show the status bar"
in the iOS standalone settings and GetCardRect() takes care of the rest. You
can even test in the IDE. I detect if the aspect ratio is an iPhone with a
notch and you can see what will happen on the X. This was an easy
implementation for me because I rolled my own device independence control
placement library long ago using GetCardRect() to deal with the keyboard.
This was long before the iPhoneX.  When the X appeared on the scene I just
added a dozen or so lines of code in GetCardRect() to deal with it. iOS was
very predictable because of Apples strict human interface guidelines. It's
out in the field and working nicely. But the Android is another matter.
There are so many variants to deal with. I just don't know how we can deal
with the Android notch without an LC implementation of an OS API hook or a
new Android manifest "Notch" key to keep the app out of the notch(or both).

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net