Thoughts on Livecode Server

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:40:17 EST 2019

Does anyone have any thoughts on where Livecode server should go / is going?

I thought I'd throw out a few things that have been on my mind to see what
other people are thinking and where the actual underlying technology is
heading. Context - I use Livecode server and Revigniter - but not to the
full ability and I'm looking to improve the way I host things and plan a
strategy moving forwards.

*Full power of Livecode?*
My first question is what are the actual limits of what you can do on the
server, as compared with the desktop version? I haven't pushed this to the
limit so maybe yo have?

For instance if I want to integrate Javascript / node.js code into my
server, can I use the built in two way communication between Javascript and
Livecode? This also leads on to the more general question about the
headless Livecode environment of the server - are then any limits to script
that does stuff like create a stack, add a browser element to the stack,
set behaviors, communicate with the newly created stack (and hence
Javascript, destroy the stack and return a result to the browser?

I'll be testing this soon, but are there limits to this approach (apart
form speed)?

*Emscripten export?*
How about using the exported javascript in the server? Could we have a
node.js based server which server-side uses the big fat Livecode javascript
engine, and exported Livecode HTML5 exported stacks as server side code?

*Livecode Docker behind reverse proxy*
This is sort of the default I would say in moving on from Nginx or Apache
based hosting of Livecode server. Does anyone have any plans / experience
of doing this?