windows defender issues? & other AV issues

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 17 11:52:58 EST 2019

Matthias Rebbe wrote:

 >> Am 17.01.2019 um 17:08 schrieb Richard Gaskin:
 >>
 >> R.H. wrote:
 >> > I just feel that we should know what the problem is that corrupts
 >> > the stack when saving and the original stack filename is appended
 >> > with the tilde character?
 >>
 >> Agreed.  If the engine has a problem writing stack files, that would
 > prevent us from using LiveCode.
 >>
 >> The trick now is to pin down the cause of the issue you've
 > experienced.
 >
 > Maybe it would be good at first to know how big in size the stack is
 > that cannot be saved correctly.
 > Maybe it is really the size that cause this.

I believe the logical limit is 4GB, so I don't think size alone is the
cause.

Complexity might be related, such as number of cards, but even then I
have doubts.

I used to maintain an alternative LC Dictionary in which every language
token was its own card - more than 3,000 at the time.  While saves would
take several seconds, it didn't matter for that stack since that only
happened once at build time; from then on it was used only for reads.
Worked like a champ, successfully built on more than a hundred different
system an aggregate of many thousands of times.

So far we have a few people (3?) who've reported issues with saves, in
which all of the save issues, IIRC, were intermittent.

Meanwhile, the one thing all subscribers of this list have in common is
that we use LiveCode, implying that we're able to use LiveCode because
we can save our work.

So it seems there is something specific to a combination of factors,
some possibly related to the engine, others possibly related to disk
media and/or file system structures, and some possibly related to the OS
or other processes.

Without a recipe for reliably reproducing the issue, this will be a
tough nut to crack.

Hopefully as we gather more details a recipe will emerge.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems