windows defender issues? & other AV issues

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Thu Jan 17 02:46:48 EST 2019

Thanks Richard and Jacque for the enthusiastic support of my opening
observation:

"it's quite possible to save data in stack file(s) if you do it
properly"

Yes, that holds true. :)

But as a responsible advisor to people in the community at large, I must
discourage stack files as first choice to save data from installed apps.
People who follow that route often have trouble.

Not talking about any particular dry academic "best practices" that
someone wrote, someone else read, a third parroted. Nor tradition.
Simply real LC cases right here in our community - I find a good
correlation between people with problems and people who save to stacks.
Few do it properly. It's a problem here.

When people have bad habits, I actually get more business. So maybe I
should be encouraging people to use stacks first and foremost for data
storage, among other things! Ha ha. But there's no way I'd ever do that;
I care about people and I want them to have fewer problems in their code.

Using stacks to save data, "It's very tempting to try and save data to
the distribution folder, or to mix data and user interface together!"
The medium does have some effect on the transaction and the people
involved, also depending on what experience people are coming from.

Since stacks normally hold UI and LC code, it's a very small step to mix
data and UI together. And that's exactly what people tend to do. From
there, they tend to save directly to the app folder, another tiny step
that often involves just one word of code. Not to mention a few other
gotchas of stacks compared to other files if used wrongly. It's a quick
route to trouble, and I've been called to rescue many a ship that was
following that siren call....

I provided a quick fix for those in that situation. And it's also
possible to use stack files the "right" way for saving data. For that
matter stacks can hold almost any type of data, and almost any type of
data file can hold stacks and UI. Anything is possible.

But most people will be better served keeping these things separated for
easy understanding and building solid habits. Stacks (or properly
designated flat files) for UI and code, another type of file or a
database for data. App in Program Files or Applications, data in the
proper place per OS and purpose. A standard installer, or else even more
care (not less) in app awareness and data handling. Sign your app if
needed, or provide some installation FAQ for users, and be cautious
about accessing files to minimize AV issues and system issues.

These tend to steer people in the right direction, and mixing things
together often leads people astray. I'm sorry that's the case, it
doesn't have to be, but often it is. Real people, real stacks; reality
talking. Of course, stack-data aficionados that know their stuff can do
their thing; I'm probably not reaching a ghostly hand out of your email
Inbox to stop you. (Just make sure that it works as well as you think!
I've seen some notable exceptions.)

So that's my PSA on data files. It's pretty much win-win-win because
either the tip helps people and they avoid problems, or if they take
another road and have trouble I'll likely have the chance to help them
out later, while those who really know the ropes can feel even more
empowered using stacks for data and piling on greater support for my
opening observation. Take care and good night! :D

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"