file: vs bibfile: usage?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Jan 4 12:54:13 EST 2019

I have seen example in the dictionary, for example in the LC901
Dictionary under "textEncode" entry, where LC9 text (in a field or
variable) is encoded as UTF-8 and written to a file as:

puttextEncode(tSomeText,"UTF-8") intoURL ("file:"&tSomeFile)

However, my understanding is the the "file:" identifier tries to do
"intelligent" line ending translation for the platform LC is running on.
So in order to produce true UTF8 platform independent output, the
examples should be

puttextEncode(tSomeText,"UTF-8") intoURL ("binfile:"&tSomeFile)

In other words, should not the rule be that when outputting anything
other than "native" text (MacRoman (OSX) or Latin-1 (Win) or ISO for
Linux), should it always be written a "binfile:" (i.e binary) so the
coding is not changed?

Does any LC expert know the answer to this?