Refactoring is your friend / moving from 6.x to 9.x

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 4 01:40:26 EST 2019

Read through this whole thread, optimistic that I'd find the list of
things that differentiate v6 and v9 so we can hone in on actual solutions.

I learned two things:

  - lock/unlock changed

  - It's apparently easier to write a thousands of words philosophizing
    about how a small team of C++ programmers should provide a uniform
    scripting interface for a nearly unprecedented number of OSes,
    stay on top of ongoing API changes in every one of those OSes,
    multiply features, fix bugs, incorporate Unicode, maintain or improve
    all aspects of performance, and keep the joint running than it is to
    even briefly summarize concerns about any of the above.

Is there an actual list of concrete concerns here that the team may be
able to take action on or at least explain how/why the change exists, or
did I just spend an hour reading that I'll never get back?

I feel rickrolled.

I've worked with too many people moving from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8, or
Python 2 to 3, or any version of Apple's C headers in the '90s that
broke declarations quarterly, or HyperCard 2 to 3, to get too
out-of-breath about undoing workarounds in old code to work
with-the-grain for v9's enhancements and fixes for long-standing
anomalies.  When I describe LC's high priority for backward
compatibility to nearly any other experienced dev I know, they look at
me like I'm high and spouting tales of dancing ponies; many professional
development systems consider backward compatibility a very minor
nice-to-have, if they devote time to it at all. Many of us here buy
computers from a hardware vendor with a similar view.

As for performance, in threads with Geoff Canyon, Mark Talutto, and
others who provided real-world use cases and metrics, we do see some
performance degradation in v9 from v6 in some cases, a surprising amount
on par given how relatively little work v6 had to do under the hood with
encodings and types, a few things a wee bit faster, and overall such a
strong comeback from the v7 series that it should be clear to those
earnestly following along that the team has indeed been quite evidently
working on performance, and delivering improvements over the v9 cycle.

Then again, my work may not touch the items on the concern list.  I
can't know, because I couldn't find such a list in this long thread.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems