Musings on Architect, MVC, Nested Behaviors

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 4 01:05:26 EST 2019

Andre Alves Garzia wrote:

 > Be aware that YAML is tricky to parse, there are better formats such
 > as TOML which are much easier and tend to be less error prone. It is
 > very easy to get some indentation wrong in YAML and move something up
 > or down a level. TOML is IMHO a better format for such stuff.
 >
 >    YAML: http://yaml.org
 >
 >    TOML: https://github.com/toml-lang/toml
 >
 > There is also StrictYAML which removes some problematic features from
 > YAML. Anyway, I think that if all you need is something that maps to a
 > hashmap that is not too deep (thats important) then TOML is a better
 > format.

https://xkcd.com/927/

Story so far:

Assertion: XML will solve everything!
Reality:   bloated

Assertion: JSON will solve everything!
Reality:   If you happen to do everything in JavaScript

Assertion: YAML will solve everything, and be human-writable!
Reality:   Sure, but it's so hard to parse not even robots
            can do it well.

Assertion: TOML will solve everything, and be human-writable,
            and be easily parseable!
Reality:   I'm dizzy, and going to lie down. Wake me when anything
            actually solves all everything, or next Tuesday when
            the next serialization-format-du-jour is premiered as
            the thing that will solve everything, so we can all
            enjoy throwing away this week's code for a week with
            the new kid on the block until next week's kid on the
            block shows up.

:)

The longer I've been in this business the more comfortable I've become
defining my own purpose-build formats as needed.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems