Format text data records for processing in Livecode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 28 22:44:03 EST 2019

Kaveh Bazargan wrote:

 > On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 23:12, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Kaveh Bazargan wrote:
 >>
 >>  > My use case might be unusual in that I have several itemdelimiters
 >>  > in the same text. I need to record what each one is, but they must
 >>  > not be the same. I might be going off topic here, but I thought it
 >>  > is a simple way of generating a text that is guaranteed to be
 >>  > unique.
 >>
 >> The UUID function is ideal for getting a unique string.
 >>
 >> But maybe simpler, have you considered using an array?
 >>
 > Hi Richard
 >
 > So far I have used arrays very rarely. Not sure why.
 >
 > I did not know about UUID.
 >
 > One advantage of using the milliseconds is that it gives me an
 > automated timeline and speed of events, just by comparing the
 > itemdelimiter. But my use case is probably very specific.

If it's working and you're happy keep doing it.

At some point you may find arrays very powerful. This circumstance seems
a natural fit for them, as they keep data separated -- even binary data
-- while remaining blindingly fast to get at the piece you want whenever
you want it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems