Format text data records for processing in Livecode

kee nethery kee.nethery at elloco.com
Tue Feb 26 17:23:59 EST 2019

What about accidentally choosing a codepoint that is already in the text?

I tend to use tab and return for spreadsheet data.

For text that needs to include tabs and returns, I use the ASCII codepoints designed for delimiting data; Unit Separator ACSII37, Record Separator ASCII36, Group Separator ASCII35, File Separator ASCII34. And before I use them I always make sure the text does not contain any of these characters. If it does (for example contains a Unit Separator) I tend to see if the text contains “<<ASCII37_(the seconds)>>” and if not I’ll replace all Unit Separators in the text with “<<ASCII37_(the seconds)>>”. Where (the seconds) is the actual value for the seconds. Then I’ll use the ASCII codepoints that were allocated for delimiters. And I’ll add my replacement separators at the front of the data stream knowing that I can see what that entire string should get replaced with.

My two cents.

Kee Nethery