[ANN] Release 9.0.3 RC-1

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 25 14:43:31 EST 2019

On 2/21/19 8:00 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.3 RC-1.

I was hoping the strange problems would diminish with this release but I
lasted about 5 minutes before I had to quit and return to an earlier
version. I'm not sure how anyone can trace this, but thought I'd just
post what the circumstances were. Maybe someone will find a commonality
in their experience.

I'm working on a splash app that opens a separate mainstack, call it
StackA. The script of the app stack is inserted into the back. I was
debugging a handler on a card in StackA. The script editor was open and
a red-dot breakpoint was set.

I called the handler from the message box. -> Can't find handler
The message box indicated that StackA was the target stack, and typing
"the defaultstack" in the message box also returned "StackA"

Repeated the message box call. -> Can't find handler.

Used the keyboard shortcut to summon the contextual menu and send the
handler name's message to the card. -> Works. Handler runs. Stops at
breakpoint.

I immediately saw a problem and aborted the handler in the middle. Made
some corrections and applied the script.

Called the handler from the message box. -> Can't find handler.
Tried the contextual menu -> No response, no menu
Tried "edit script of this cd" -> No response
Tried "edit script of this cd of stack "StackA" -> no response
Use keyboard shortcut to switch to Edit tool -> no response
Tried clicking the Edit tool on the palette -> hilites, returns to
browse tool
Repeated Edit tool selection from tools palette -> hilites, returns to
browse tool, but now I see it actually did choose the edit tool. I see
arrow-with-cross cursor.
Double-click a field just to test -> no response
Type in msg box: there is a fld "blah" -> true
Use Application Browser to get the field property inspector -> works
Click the Script button in property inspector -> no response

At this point I know I'm a hair's breadth away from a crash, so I quit
and return to LC 9.0.2 where this happens frequently but not quite as soon.

Anyone have anything in common with this sequence? I don't know what
triggers it, but the symptoms are usually the same: loss of keyboard
control, inability to find the current stack or card (although the
message box knows what it is,) inability to select or edit objects
except via Application Browser, and eventually a crash if you persist
long enough.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com