Adobe Eschews Applescript

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Dec 24 12:05:01 EST 2019

Updating Reader to the most recent version killed my ability to open and fill forms.

Upon further inspection it may be that Reader NEVER supported Apple Events, but it DID support data import via javascript actions. This is what I do for Windows, as of course Microsoft does not have Apple Events.

The way to tell if a Mac app supports apple events is to open Script Editor, then select Open Dictionary from the File menu. Apps that are greyed out do not publish a dictionary, which doesn't necessarily absolutely PROVE they won't respond to Apple Events, but I've never seen an app without a dictionary that did.

I managed to get my hands on Adobe Reader XI for Mac and now it works again. Adobe ONLY provides Reader DC now.

I have never understood what would possess a software developer to REMOVE functionality from a product in the guise of an inline upgrade.

Bob S