Checking the host OS

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Aug 30 15:22:22 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I know we can get all manner of information about the host system our stack or application is running on, including platform(), processor(), and machine() but is there a way to check to see whether the host OS is 32 or 64 bit? The platform function on Windows always returns Win32 regardless of which version of Windows is running, and the processor reports x86_32 or x86_64, depending on the host machine’s CPU.

Now that we can build both 32 and 64 bit applications for Windows, it’s important to be able to tell whether the host OS is 32 or 64 bit. But I can’t work out if these functions let us get that information. For instance, on my Windows 10 64-bit system I get:

The platform: Win32
The processor: x86_64
The machine: x86_64

But I just had a user report that they were unable to run a new build of one of my Windows applications, which I had built as 64 bit. I’m sending them a 32-bit build, but I got to thinking, would there be a way to check that from within LiveCode?

Any ideas?

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University