"template" stack in custom property

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Aug 2 14:24:40 EDT 2019

On 8/2/19 12:56 PM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in case someone is interested.
>
>> Am 02.08.2019 um 16:00 schrieb Klaus major-k via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I found a workaround by creating two handlers and use them with a little dealy.
>>
>>> Am 02.08.2019 um 14:59 schrieb Klaus major-k via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi friends,
>>>
>>> I have done this a lot in the past, but currently got stuck with this in LC 9.5
>>> I store a stack in a custom property and open it via script like:
>>> put "NewJob_" & the seconds into tName
>
> lock messages
> ## Now every line in the handler is being executed.
>
>>> go invisible stack (the cTemplateStack of this stack)
>>> ## Works so far, the stack is in -> the openstacks
>>>
>>> ## However NOTHING that comes after that line will ever get executed?
>>> ## restarted LC a couple of time, no dice...
>>>
>>> ## Even the BREAKPOINT is being ignored!?
>>> breakpoint
>>> answer "asfasdasdasdasdasd"
>
> looks like this only happens if the stack in the CP does have a "pre-/openstack" handler!?
> If I add "lock messages" everything works as advertised.
>
> This does not happen if I go to a stack on my HD!?
> Oh my... :-/

I have seen many instances where the IDE does not recognize the
defaultstack. Yesterday I had two stacks open, I clicked on one to bring
it to the front, and the message box title bar correctly said it was the
target stack for messages. But every command I put in the message box
threw an error. I asked it what the defaultstack was and it answered
correctly. But I couldn't get commands to work until I added a full path
to the stack and used the send command:

send "myMessage" to this card of stack "otherstack"

Just typing "myMessage" into the message box always said it couldn't
find the handler. It also couldn't find any objects I could see clearly
on screen, etc. It was as if the stack wasn't there. Setting the
defaultstack manually in the message box also didn't work.

The "can't find handler" error, as well as not finding controls or
cards, has been around for a while but I see it more oftn in the last
few versions of LC 9. I haven't got a repeatable recipe yet so haven't
reported it.

Anyway, that sounds like what you are experiencing.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com