Encrypted standalones

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 17 20:33:55 EDT 2019

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > Finally got to this. The password is saved in the standalone custom
 > property set, but when testing on a trial standalone it isn't actually
 > being used. So the answer is "no, you can't set a password on a mobile
 > app via the standalone builder."
 >
 > After thinking about this, I realized that since none of the three
 > major app stores will accept an encrypted app, that's why it's
 > disabled.

That seems a strangely LiveCode-specific policy.  It would be cool if
Apple, Google, and Amazon were so impressed with LC that they felt the
need to write policies just for it, but I suspect I merely don't understand.

If the policy prohibits encrypting compiled machine code, I can
understand it.  All three use automated processes to review code for
inappropriate symbols, and encryption would thwart those good efforts.

But LC standalones don't encrypt the engine, only the scripts.  The
compiled machine code remains available for automated review, while the
it's just scripts that operate within the constraints imposed on that
engine sandbox that are protected. In that sense they're not much
different from tokenized bytecode used in many game engines.

Unless this policy is oddly LiveCode-specific, I suspect you've
discovered a regression, one worth reporting.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems