mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Mon Sep 24 01:49:39 EDT 2018

Howard:

 > All my test show that for the Shift key and the Option key, when
 > called within a mousemove handler, it doesn't register that the
 > keys are down unless the mouse button is clicked first.

Hi Howard, I tested your code verbatim in the card script of a new stack
in LC 901 on native Windows 10 with a real PC laptop, Dell Intel i5.

It works fine here. I also noticed that since "shiftkey" only has two
states, you don't really need to test it twice; you could cut out the
second "if" statement. In fact, this yields similar results:

on mousemove x,y
  put x,y && the shiftkey
end mousemove

So, despite the very significant issues that LC 9 has on real Windows,
including a barely-usable script editor, it seems likely that this is
not one of them. That's good news! But obviously you do have a problem.

Have you tested your code in a brand new empty stack in a fresh and
unmodded instance of LC, no extra plugins or scripts running? If so, if
it's just Parallels, I have to say that virtual Windows isn't quite the
same. Well, I guess an Intel Mac sporting a GUI that contradicts much of
Apple's original research isn't quite the same either; I'm a big
original Mac guy! :) But some details are different. That's why I always
use real Mac and real Windows.

But if you get different results with a fresh stack and LC, if there is
something else going on and you would like me to test your actual stack
(on native Windows) or help solve your problem, feel free to contact me
off-list. Interesting.

(Meanwhile, hope we can get improvements for some of the real Windows
problems that LC has. It's difficult to type in the LC 901 script editor
on Windows - that is a pretty huge issue. I have a WordLib update coming
out in a few days, pending final tests, and it never hurts to have a
fully usable version of the latest LC IDE on both platforms!)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"