Standalone build workaround

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Wed Sep 19 23:45:44 EDT 2018

Jacqueline:

 > So yeah, there's repercussions. I do understand the choice the
 > team had to make, but most of us were used to the old way and
 > had already accommodated.

I would go further. I would say that change is not always value-free;
it's not simply a question of what people are accustomed too. (Although
that can be important too.)

But no, I would say that objectively there is such a thing as a bad
change, a wrong choice, and this is a good example. The side effects of
the cure seem to be worse than the original problem. We could probably
find a way to measure and compare before/after in terms of user efforts
and user problems.

This issue doesn't affect me much personally because of my own coding
habits, thank goodness, but it is an excellent example of how solving a
problem the wrong way can lead to bigger problems. Interesting....

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting