When an Absolute Path is Not So Absolute

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Wed Sep 19 13:56:59 EDT 2018

FYI

I'm caching downloaded documents in an iOS app. I was storing the
path/filename in a local db and checking in subsequent launches to see if
the document needed a download. A demo went horribly wrong when we had no
network access. I downloaded all the documents THEN did a small app fix and
off we went to the demo. Little did I realize that the UUID in the path
changes with every app update. So when the app did a==> "there is a
file(stored path and filename)" returned false even though the document was
on the device. Solution: store only the file name in the db and recreate the
path at run time before verifying the file's existence.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net