Slow LC 9 Performance - Test Stack, Video, QA Report

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Sep 11 17:53:48 EDT 2018

On 11/09/2018 16:59, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

> Interesting considerations. Whatever the causes, LC 9 needs a little
> work to get back in shape. Get off the couch and start running again!
> :) There are so many different tasks where 9 is underperforming; any
> code with repeat loops, chunks, arrays, or math is likely to be slow
> compared to where we were 2 years ago. Mac is affected just as badly
> as Windows. Linux is affected too.
>
> BTW Bob, Mark, Jerry, and others following this thread - could you
> also add your CC to the bug report in the QA center?

Done.

And I was encouraged to try a quick test - which turned out to be a
counter-example. LC9 is 4x faster than LC6 on this little test
(consistently over different photos).

*on mouseUp
    local tData1, tData2, time1, temp
    put URL ("binfile:/Users/alextweedly/Dropbox
(Personal)/Pictures/2016/101_0818/IMGP0021.JPG") into tData1
    put URL ("binfile:/Users/alextweedly/Dropbox
(Personal)/Pictures/2016/101_0818/IMGP0021.JPG") into tData2
    -- put tData1 into tData2
    put the millisecs into time1
    repeat 50 times
       if tData1 = tData2 then
          -- add 1 to temp
       end if
    end repeat
    put the number of bytes in tData1 && the millisecs - time1 && temp
into msg
end mouseUp

(it's an 18Mb image file).
Alex.