Slow LC 9 Performance - Test Stack, Video, QA Report

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Fri Sep 7 16:04:48 EDT 2018

Mark:

 > For appending 5 item texts, I see a 3x slowdown in LC9,
 > similar to your results.

Thanks for sharing your Linux results!

So that means on 3 different platforms (Mac, Win, Linux) using item
chunks is 3x to 4x slower in LiveCode today than it was 2 years ago, for
a short list of items.

(And I just realized that some Mac people may have misunderstood that
all this was just another Mac/Win type comparison, so I'll state it
again clearly from a Mac-centric perspective.)

LC on Mac today is 3 times slower than it was two years ago for arrays
and items, and 2 times slower for math! At least on my Mac, assuming it
holds true for your chip too. So we are all in this performance boat
together, no matter your OS preference. You're affected.

Moreover (as I demo'd in the video) using item chunks is slower in
LiveCode today than using an array was 2 years ago! The old speed of
items blew it away. That may surprise some of the people thinking
they'll just use items; the ultra-fast option doesn't exist anymore.

I'm very happy that arrays already are on LC's official radar, because
they are extremely important and they are currently 2x-3x slower. That
will help. Probably noticed, and on the radar, because Mac was
disproportionately affected! Mac Mac Mac. :)

But attention Mac people: Mac is every bit as affected (3.3x slower than
before) by those slower chunks for a small list of items. (Big lists
too, on Mac AFAIK.) So fixing arrays is only part of the solution. Items
are pretty important too, especially when they are being emphasized as a
route for optimizing code. Math and loops help too.

 > Append 345678 Items texts (of 1280):
 > LC6.7.11 (32-bit):  4894 ms
 > LC9.01rc3 (64-bit): 3271 ms

Nice to know that bright spot for Linux on the bigger lists and 64-bits!
Mac and Windows performance both got 1.7 times worse on those, at least
on my machines. I appreciate you testing it.

Best wishes,

Curry K.