ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 7 00:26:32 EDT 2018

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 >>> Well it is here already. Only it currently only offers widgets.
 >> Did I miss an announcement? Do you have a link?
 >
 > You have to open the LC tools palette occasionally. ;)

Of course.  At least once a month I find some rare need for something
not already in my streamlined tools. ;)

How often does one need an analog clock?  I can't imagine I'll ever
build my own UI for that, so my tools keep the IDE's tools palette just
a quick click away for the times when it's useful.  They offer
completeness, devo offers awareness of priorities.  Best tool for the
job at hand, and devo keeps everything more easily accessible than the
IDE itself so I don't have to choose, I have it all.

 > At the top is a big plus sign. Clicking that opens a stack/window much
 > as Sample Stacks does. A tabbed interface gives access to a number of
 > Libraries, Widgets, and the Store (which is barely populated.)

Curious.  For all the things in the LC universe it would never have
occurred to me that they'd bet the farm of the community repository, the
cornerstone of development languages so folks can find the 10,000 wheels
we don't need to reinvent, on the odd chance that someone might click an
unlabeled icon of an arithmetic symbol in the corner of a temporal
utility window.

Surely it's also in the Tools menu and at the Web site, yes?

 > I don't know how to get our own contributions there.

Ah, it appears to be quite something else.  This is still the same
LCB-specific subset we've had for several versions.

It is very separate from everything else in our community, the stuff we
share so often here and elsewhere in a hundred different place, all the
LC Script snippets, stacks, externals, templates, examples, and
libraries.  And it offers no integration with Github or other
repositories widely used in our community, as the community-built tool
was proposed to do.

Even the LCB-specific collection that's there has incomplete metadata.
For example, picking one at random I'm looking at a widget named "Circle
Progress", where its license type is listed as "community".   There is
no common license by that name; few can know what that means.  If they
mean the license used by the LC Community Edition, that would be
"GPLv3", a name immediately recognizable by those noting the license
type.  If there is indeed some non-standard license the author calls
"community", we'll need the license text there to know if the terms
allow us to use it in our work.

It seems this Builder-specific collection and revOnline/Share this
Stack/Sample Stacks/livecodeshare are both legacy projects of specific
scope; the repo Kevin discussed in Nov 2016 sounded like something more
comprehensive to handle the full scope of sharing needs.

I look forward to seeing how they integrate the two into a single
solution, and hopefully a date when that is expected to be available.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems