This is disturbing!

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Sep 6 12:06:52 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-06 18:02, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> dictionary says when comparing strings we go char by char, and says
> that
> quotes around the literal causes it to be evaluated as a string.

Where in the dictionary? That should be revised.

Quotes make no difference - numbers and strings which look like numbers
are treated the same... When doing comparisons, the engine tries to
convert both sides to numbers before comparing, if both sides are
numbers they are compared as numbers.

Both '1 is 1.0' or '"1" is "1.0"' have the same result.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. The engine has *always* worked like this - as have xTalks in
general. It's why you never have to put any explicit type conversion
anywhere when you are interchanging anything and things still work as
expected.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps