ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 5 23:33:07 EDT 2018

Mark Wieder wrote:
> It still bugs me that:
>
> 1. the menubar item says "Share this stack"
> 2. the Login dialog says "revOnline"
> 3. when you log in, the next window says "Sample Stacks"
> 4. the website is "livecodeshare"

Several times over the last decade I've discussed with the team the
possibility of creating a community-managed repo, like Python, Perl, and
other languages have.  This is quite achievable as a community project,
and would free up resources within LC Ltd.

Of course for such an effort to be worthwhile it needs the blessing of
the mother ship.  There should be one repo, and no one wants to put many
hours of work into something the company might later displace with their
own.

The last time I was keen on this I stopped pursuing it based on this post:

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2016-November/232864.html

That was quite a while ago.  I've resisted drawing attention to it since
then because I kept hearing it's still in progress but needs more time,
and I see no value in creating any suggestion of controversy over things
we all experience like fluctuating priorities and shifting deadlines.

That said, it has been a while, and the value of one centralized
repository for all LC add-ons has not diminished.

I believe it's time for the community and the company to come together
with a solid, actionable plan for a single repo that will exist by a
knowable date.  With one name.  And only one name. :)

This needn't require any development resources from the company, but
would at a minimum require that they respect the effort, link to it, and
not displace it.

This seems valuable for everyone.

--
 Richard Gaskin