Numbering lines

hh hh at hyperhh.de
Sun Oct 28 16:06:35 EDT 2018

> Alex T. wrote:
> You require to keep the line ordering completely unchanged -
> and Hermann's superfast method can't meet that need.

> JLG wrote:
> You're right, split deletes duplicates. In fact, I use it as a quick way
> to do just that.

You are both spendidly wrong:
Could you please simply try my functions and read the dictionary in order
to understand why you are wrong? Please!

Is it not yet Halloween ...

-- D is the separator for numbers and text lines, usually space or ": "
-- T is the input text, delimited with return
-- prepends the number and separator to each line:
function addLineNumbers D,T
  split T by return
  put the keys of T into K
  sort K numeric
  repeat for each line L in K
    put cr & L & D & T[L] after S
  end repeat
  return char 2 to -1 of S
end addLineNumbers

-- D is the separator for numbers and text lines, usually space or ": "
-- T is the input text, delimited with return
-- removes the number and separator from each line:
function removeLineNumbers D,T
  split T by return and D
  put the keys of T into K
  sort K numeric