Numbering lines

David V Glasgow dvglasgow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:27:44 EDT 2018

Hello folks

I am doing a content analysis of online chat and messaging.  Sometimes very large files, thousands or even hundreds of thousands of messages.  I am finding filter and find to be delightfully fast.

However…. Sometimes I want to prefix each line with the line number, and do this:

put  1 into tcount
 repeat for each line j in it
      put tcount &  j into line tcount of it
      put tcount + 1 into tcount
      set the thumbpos of scrollbar "filterprog" to tcount
   end repeat
   put it into field  “numberedtext”

I use ‘it’ because of a dim memory (superstition? Myth?) from long ago that it is faster than an arbitrarily named variable.  Still, the whole process is pretty darned  slow.  Any brilliant suggestions?

Best Wishes,
David Glasgow

 <http://www.i-psych.co.uk/> <https://twitter.com/iPsychApps>

 <https://twitter.com/iPsychApps> <http://uk.linkedin.com/in/davidvglasgow>