Showing four options in a menu?

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Oct 16 11:58:36 EDT 2018

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 08:51 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 15, 2018, at 13:57 , Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>>
>> For displaying a simple binary choice in a menu, a !c checkmark works well.
>> But in Navigator's property menu, there are four possibilities:
>>
>> 1. the property is not boolean -- display nothing with the menu.
>> 2. the property is boolean and is true for all the selected controls --
>> display a !c check.
>> 3. the property is boolean and is false for all the selected controls --
>> display ???
>> 4. the property is boolean and is false for some of the selected controls
>> and true for others -- display ???
>>
>> Is there any way to handle this without a sub-menu? It would be nice to be
>> able to set booleans from the menu just by selecting them instead of having
>> to mouse onto  a sub-menu.
>
> It would be non-standard, but that being said, prepending the menu with a character like a bullet, checkbox, x or dash could work. Not sure if button/menu text can display HTML, but that would be a possibility. You would have to handle your selections differently methinks.
>
> Bob S

The answer is no, a button cannot display HTML. If it did then some thought would have to be given to how to return a value in menuPick. You wouldn't want it to return the html text of the choice, but then how would you distinguish what part of the value was the mark, and what was the choice?

In these situations, I usually go away from popup menus and use locked fields with listBehavior set instead.

Bob S