Confirming a thing about IDs

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Thu Oct 11 18:42:29 EDT 2018

On 10/11/2018 02:52 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:36 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
>
>> On 10/11/2018 02:19 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Mutable, as in the engine or IDE change it without user interaction???
>>
>> No, you have to work at it explicitly. I'm sorry to say that I pushed
>> for this some years ago in a misguided assumption that this would help
>> advance the cause of version control. That allowed me to reconstruct
>> objects from script, then Monte came up with a different and better
>> solution, and then they both got rejected. So now you can assign and
>> change object ids and it still won't do you any good.
>>

> There have been multiple export/import functions written (I wrote one of
> the first, about 15(?) years ago). Granted that it's not the integrated
> solution you would hope for, how does it fall short of allowing version
> control of project configuration?

Well, git integration is a big part of what I want. That allows for true
group collaboration: checkouts, pull requests, merges, etc. Script-only
stacks is a step in that direction, missing I think only the use of
metadata for custom properties and the ability to use SSO stacks as
substacks. If it weren't for the stupid requirement for trailing
whitespace at the end of every line I'd actually go back to submitting
pull requests on SSO stacks.

If this were an actual project, I'd expect maybe a project config file
showing the stack(s), stack files, and other assets: font files, image
files, audio files, etc.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com