mergLA for Mac

andrew at midwestcoastmedia.com andrew at midwestcoastmedia.com
Wed Oct 3 08:05:59 EDT 2018

I created an admin backend app for a client so they can manage data
for their frontend app. This backend, based off client request, is
running on macOS/Windows/iOS. The desktop versions use a password for
authenticating access but the iOS deployment uses Touch/Face ID for
authentication via Monte's extremely easy to use mergLA external.

Recently this client upgraded their laptop to a MacBook Pro that also
supports Touch ID and asked if the same fingerprint technology could
be implemented in the macOS build. I was blissfully unaware that this
feature even existed on that platform, but apparently has been
available since the 2016 model year.

I know several of the other merg externals utilize the same/similar
underlying framework so they work on both macOS and iOS. Is this just
a matter of recompiling the external or is there a deeper change that
would need to be made to unlock this?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/localauthentication

--Andrew Bell