Max number of columns in a datagrid?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 26 18:04:26 EST 2018

Dunbarxx wrote:

 > It is certainly possible that one might need an enormous DG or table
 > field.
 > It never happens that one must view such a beast all at once, or even
 > a large part of it; that is not the issue. The point is that one
 > cannot have such a control at all, and that seems unfair.

Don't settle for unfair.  Grab the DG code and enhance it.  The
virtualization method used for vscroll could be adapted for hscroll.

 > If one is looking at the first ten columns, and it is desired to jump
 > over to columns 6000-6010, well, you cannot.

I wouldn't ask a user to scroll 30 feet.  I'd rethink the design.

 > Surely the dataSet can be stored in a field or custom property, and
 > loaded as needed, but that requires a significant amount of pre-
 > processing. The whole point of DG's and tableFields is that they can
 > be navigated with virtually unconscious well-worn user actions.

Few read what I write here, so this will likely be as lost as the last
time I addressed this a couple days ago.  But I'm just OCD enough to
keep trying, so here goes:

A field is a single control.

A DataGrid is many hundreds of countrols, many of which are fields.

The DG is a good option where you need the unprecedented flexibility it
provides with form layouts.

For everything else using a single control, the engine-native field
object, will outperform because all the processing needed to render the
contents happens in highly-optimized machine-compiled C++.

Try the field object.

Really.

I don't keep writing this to mislead.

 > The limit may be intrinsic. It at least should be published.

Perhaps it should.  I believe the 65,535px limit for group contents is
documented, and since a DG is a collection of groups it applies there.

If you feel we should replicate limits of groups in the discussion of
the DG I would have no problem with you submitting a pull request for
that.  Where would be the appropriate place for that addition, Dict,
Lessons, or User Guide?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems