LC/macOS App Store

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 10 14:08:54 EST 2018

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > People cannot remember commands, especially not terminal commands,
 > with all the arguments and caveats and different ways to put it all
 > together.

For end-users, the awareness of that principle is very powerful.

But where are we, here in this discussion?  On a mailing list for
programmers using a rich language with 3,000+ tokens to memorize. :)

Just as LiveCode is the way we build applications, Terminal is the way
we manage our systems.

Locally, you can get away with never automating anything in bash (though
why wouldn't a programmer want to take advantage of automation?).

But for working with servers, bash is the lingua franca of sysadmin, the
foundation of efficient work to handle all the essentials and also make
systems more robust, secure, and redeployable.

Besides, most servers have no GUI, so Terminal is your only UI.

As programmers, we like the expressiveness of text and the opportunity
to learn.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems