Informal survey: multiple desktops

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue May 1 14:09:56 EDT 2018

On 05/01/2018 08:31 AM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:

> I only use Linux for testing (in a VM), so have not
> used them there. I’m more likely to have a couple Linux VMs open at once.

The only thing I would caution there is that multiple VMs tend to use
huge amounts of computer resources. You have to be very careful when
allocating CPU time and memory or the native system will spend all its
time swapping back and forth instead of letting you get anything done.

----

I also use multiple desktops all the time on linux. I don't spend enough
time on other platforms to need them elsewhere. But I have my main
desktop allocated to email and web browser and a second window allocated
to LiveCode. The LC desktop is spread across two monitors with one given
to the menubar, devolution, tools and the stack I'm working on; and the
second monitor used for the script editor, browser, message box.

If I try to switch desktops while LC is starting up (getting impatient
since the startup takes so long) then some items end up in one desktop
and some in the other. That's annoying, and they can (usually) be
swapped but normally I find it easier to close and reopen.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com