Mouse wheel scrolling support...

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Mar 19 16:19:28 EDT 2018

On 3/19/2018 3:18 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> At the risk of sounding both naive and stupid I have just pasted a
> large text into a field
> with a vertical scrollBar in a field in a stack in LC 7.1.4 on Mac OS
> 10.7.5.
>
> With the "blobby thing" that passes for a scroll wheel on my A1152
> Apple mouse
> I am able to scroll up and down in the field with no trouble at all.
>
> So, would be glad if you could explain in a bit more detail what you mean
> by "supporting scrolling fields by use of a mouse wheel".

There are user interface conventions/guidelines for mice with mouse
wheels (typically a wheel between the 2 mouse buttons you can spin
forward or backwards with a finger). If a scrollable user interface
object has the focus and you spin the wheel, the user interface object
(field, scrolling pane, slide, whatever) should "scroll" without you
having to point to it or click on it.

I am unfamiliar with the A1152 Apple mouse (although I just googled a
picture of it). I don't know is the "scroll ball" of that mouse is
supposed to act like a "scroll wheel". Here is a typical HP (windows)
2-button mouse with a scroll wheel for comparison:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/V8SoWc38ieyPF1NWe42050HkHEuamfAFk4dXP7yqNZsoFhUvjh6iA3FoBovbAROR7tmX4q69=w640-h400-e365

I don't know if that information helps, but there it is.