Stupid Question Again - Proportional Scaling

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 18 16:36:43 EDT 2018

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > On 3/18/18 12:41 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >> Exactly.  The contents of the window can respond to the resizeStack
 >> message to be maximized within the window's content region without
 >> necessarily constraining the resize of the window's shape itself.
 >>

 > Sure, but aesthetically it's ugly.

That's a pretty sweeping dismissal of the countless apps that handle
this problem that way.

Some feel that many multi-window apps are ugly, in a world increasingly
migrating to less fidgety UIs that keep everything in one window
separated by panes (consider Premier vs iMovie).

Personally, I'm disinclined to consider any solution "ugly" until I've
seen the context of use.

With this challenge of displaying an image in a window, if the common
solution is truly ugly you've chosen the wrong neutral color. ;)

Otherwise it's simply a design decision, as attractive or unattractive
as you make it.

Inventing novel interaction models that break from user expectations is
not without some risk of its own.  I won't go so far as to say it's
necessarily ugly, but whenever I find myself considering a seldom-seen
against-the-grain solution I first look at how others solve this and
consider the necessity of inventing new ways of doing things as common
as resizing windows.

But in some rare cases, rare solutions may be the perfect fit.

HH's code is very nice - does the job well, resizing very smoothly on my
Ubuntu box.  If it's what's needed, by all means use it.

Without seeing the full app design, I have no opinion of whether any
proposed solution could be considered attractive or otherwise.  I'm just
providing options for consideration.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems