Sort IP List

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Sat Jun 30 20:37:15 EDT 2018

How fortuitous... I am finding the bottlenecks in some code under a deadline
the last few days and found some interesting observations.

1) Assembling, putting data into a field and doing text editing (replace x
with y in fld F1) in an non-visible field object is faster than assembling a
line in a local var and then putting it into the field once. I understand
that I'm moving the data twice but I thought there was some overhead of
field formatting every time I changed the data. apparently not...

I had a function call in a loop with two params and it returned a text
string of a few hundred to a few thousand cars. I changed it to a handler
with three params all by ref(the third being the var that the function
version set. Now I would have though the with everything by ref it would be
faster but in fact it was slower by 50%.

LC makes it so easy to do timings. I actually had fun tracking down and
attacking each bottleneck. Some stuff like putting simple calculations
in-line repeat constructs speeded things up as expected, others befuddled
me.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services