Best practise approach for artwork for iOS and Android?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Jun 11 04:54:46 EDT 2018

Hi,

I have three old windows program (going back to the 90th), designed for
children, which are based on "full window" image backgrounds (douzends of
cards, each with another background image) and lots of small detail images.
Up to now I have only developed LiveCode for Windows and MacOS, no
experience yet with iOS and Android development. I try to evaluate the work
load to redevelop those old windows programs for mobile and one general
question before I start is the art work. Since the old art work has a size
about 800x600 by 72dpi, I obviously would need to let redesign all art work
for the todays resolutions, which would be a pretty costly part of the
project and probably the go or nogo for the whole project.

Since there are so many different screen sizes, resolutions and aspect
ratios on iOS and Android, I wonder how to cover all those variants
technically in LiveCode and basically from the art work side. E.g. which
size and ratio I would have to let create the "master" images by the artist
(to be also on the safe side for the next years)?

Since I can't let design for each ratio a different master image for each
card, I probably would have to distort the "master" image to each different
screen size (app only for tablets in landscape mode)? Could I let make the
OS the distortion of one background image per card in LiveCode, or would I
need to import and assign different images (which I have distored in
photoshop before) for each screen size in each card? Additionally I would
need to create douzends of polygons as clickable objects, above each image
for small parts of it, where I am not sure, if they would keep their exact
target area, when the background image will be distort - probably not.

Up to now it looks to me as a never ending story, but perhaps I don't see a
good approach

Any experience or pointers to a how to are very welcome.

Tiemo