ANN: *** targetSdkVersion requirements Android ***

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jul 27 12:13:34 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-26 06:02, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
> One problem this may introduce is that from Android 6 onwards you’re
> expected to only ask permission to use features at the time the user
> reaches that part of your app, like it has always been on iOS. I wrote
> about publishing to Android before Android 6, I’m not sure how that
> gets handled. Are there features in LiveCode to cover the difficulty
> of asking for permission at runtime instead of when the app is
> installed?

9.0.1-rc-1 changes the engine to build against the appropriate minimum
now so
we are almost there.

However, we had noticed the above - admittedly due to a regression in
9.0.1-rc-1 with
regards to the camera - so we have (well Panos) has been working hard to
resolve that.

We're putting implicit permission requests in all the places that need
them
(which parallels how iOS has been since around iOS8), and are intending
on
adding a new android-specific command so you can request appropriate
permissions
at any point before needing them to ensure apps can be designed to work
nicely
regardless of what the user wants access to.

So thanks for the heads-up - we are working on it!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. We could look into doing something similar with iOS with regards
explicitly
being able to ask for permission for things - in a similar way proposed
above. If
people feel there is a need for it, please file an enhancement request
and we'll
see what we can do. (At the moment we propose to add an
androidRequestPermission
command - but we could add an iphone one too at some point, and then
perhaps a
cross-platform one which tries to do its best to map the permission
groups on android
to the similar things on iOS).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps