drawing a Barcode without a Barcode font

Matthias Rebbe matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Wed Jul 25 11:41:26 EDT 2018

We are waiting  for the result of the check of the carrier Trans-o-Flex.

> Am 25.07.2018 um 14:38 schrieb Mike Kerner via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>>:
>
> What up Matthias?
> You're using 2 of 5, right?
Yes, 2of5 interleaved.

> TT can be a little messy depending on how small you try to make the
> barcodes, and that Zebra isn't going to help.  Start with proportionally
> jacking the widths and then see if you can scan.

As i wrote,
we had to increase the width of the black bar bars and reduce the clear ones.

> I meant to ask you this before, but since you got it running I was leaving

> it alone.  Is there any reason to not use a 2 of 5 font?  That would at
> least remove one potential issue from your setup.

I found one called “Dobson2of5i” or so, but the size of the wide black bar was not double but triple. The laser printer prints were readable by the usb scanner, but not the thermal ones.
I´ve then created my own with fontographer but with the wider bar double in size of the narrow one. With that font both the laser and the thermal prints were readable by the scanner.
But the narrow clear bars  had not always the exact width on the thermal prints. So that a barcode showed the narrow clear bars in differents width. Thats why we decided to create the barcode with graphics.

Just out of interest i will try the following the next days: I create a barcode  with the font and also with the graphics, then import a snapshot of them and  print and scan them.
I will try both with and w/o defining the dpi of the snapshot. Maybe i have to set it to 203 for thermal printing. We´ll see.

Anyway. This barcode stuff was an interesting distraction from the normal work.

Regards,

Matthias